If you own a Dodge Dart and find that the key is stuck in the ignition, it can be frustrating and even prevent you from being able to start your car.
There are a few potential reasons why this may happen, including a worn key, a faulty ignition cylinder, or issues with the shifter or transmission.
In this article, we will explore some possible causes of the Dodge Dart key stuck in the ignition and provide tips for resolving the issue.
Causes Of Key Get Stuck In The Ignition Dodge Dart
There can be several reasons why the key gets stuck in the ignition of a Dodge Dart. Additionally, debris or foreign objects lodged in the ignition or around the steering column can prevent the key from being removed.
|Misaligned shifter linkage
|Obstruction in the shifter mechanism
|Damaged key or ignition cylinder
|Faulty ignition switch
Understanding the root cause of the problem can help in determining the best course of action to fix it.
if your key is getting stuck in the ignition, it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible to avoid being stranded.
Troubleshooting Tips for Key Get Stuck In The Ignition Dodge Dart
If you own a Dodge Dart and have experienced a key getting stuck in the ignition, you are not alone.
This can be a frustrating problem that can leave you feeling stuck and unable to start your car.
Here are some troubleshooting tips to resolve the issue when your Dodge Dart key is stuck in the ignition.
I hope these tips will help you get back on the road safely.
1- Check the Battery
If you’re having trouble getting your Dodge Dart key out of the ignition, it could be due to a low-voltage issue.
It’s important that you check your battery first as this is often the culprit behind stuck keys in ignitions.
The easiest way to do this is by:
- Taking a multimeter and testing the voltage on either side of the ignition switch.
- If it reads lower than 12 volts then it means that your battery has drained completely and needs replacing or recharging.
- If it reads higher than 12 volts then we can focus our attention elsewhere!
In any case, always remember to rule out a low-voltage problem when dealing with a stuck key in an ignition.
2- Lubricate Cylinder
Once you have determined the issue isn’t low voltage, it’s time to move on to other potential causes.
One of them could be a sticky or jammed ignition cylinder.
- Clean the area around the ignition cylinder using a cloth or a soft-bristled brush. Make sure there is no visible debris or grime.
- Apply a lubricant to the ignition cylinder to help loosen any built-up grime and dirt. Use a recommended silicone-based lubricant for optimal results.
- Apply a thin coat of silicone grease around the edges of the lock cylinders every two months or so to prevent further build-up of dirt and moisture.
So next time you experience difficulty removing your car’s key, keep these tips in mind as they may prove invaluable when troubleshooting problems related to ignition switches and cylinders.
3- Check the Ignition Switch
The next step in troubleshooting ignition switch issues is to check the wiring.
It’s important to make sure that all the wires connected to your ignition are properly insulated and securely attached, as faulty wiring can be a major contributing factor when it comes to stuck keys.
- Check the wiring to ensure all connections are properly insulated and securely attached.
- Replace any components that show obvious damage or signs of wear and tear.
- Clean any corroded or dirty terminals with electrical contact cleaner before reattaching.
- Lubricate the area around the lock cylinders with WD-40 to help unstick the ignition cylinder due to dirt buildup over time.
- Apply a thin coat of silicone grease on the edges every two months for long-term maintenance.
- Always check for frayed wires or loose connections when dealing with car electronics to ensure basic safety practices are met.
How To Remove The Stuck Key Additional Steps
Removing the key from a stuck Dodge Dart ignition can be tricky, but with the right knowledge and tools, it doesn’t have to remain that way.
|5 Steps to Remove the Key from a Stuck Dodge Dart Ignition
|1. Double-check that all electrical components are functioning properly.
|2. Ensure there’s nothing blocking the path of the shifter linkage and that no foreign objects are lodged between any areas of contact.
|3. Gain access to the area around whatever part of the steering wheel column holds onto the key. This could be a clip or a notch depending on the car’s age.
|4. Apply pressure while turning the key back and forth until it becomes loose enough for removal. It may take several attempts.
|5. If you are unable to remove the key, try using a silicone spray or graphite powder to lubricate the lock cylinder.
Expert Advice For Prevention
If you have experienced your key getting stuck in the ignition of a Dodge Dart, then you know how frustrating it can be.
It’s important to take preventive measures so that this doesn’t happen again.
To prevent the key from getting stuck in the ignition of your Dodge Dart, it’s important to take proper care of the ignition system.
Here are some expert tips:
- Regularly clean the ignition cylinder and surrounding area using a cloth or a soft-bristled brush to get rid of any debris or grime buildup. This can prevent the key from getting stuck due to obstructions.
- Use a recommended silicone-based lubricant to lubricate the ignition cylinder and ensure it stays smooth and responsive. It’s also a good idea to apply a thin coat of silicone grease around the edges of the lock cylinders every two months or so to prevent further buildup of dirt and moisture.
- Check the wires connected to the ignition switch regularly to make sure they are secure and properly insulated. Faulty wiring can also contribute to stuck keys, so make sure everything is in good condition.
By following these simple expert tips, you can prevent your Dodge Dart’s key from getting stuck in the ignition and avoid any unnecessary frustration or repair costs.
key getting stuck in the ignition is not uncommon.
In fact, according to a recent survey, almost 20% of drivers have experienced this problem at least once.
The important thing for drivers to remember is that there are steps they can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue if it occurs.
With just a bit of knowledge and some patience, you should be able to remove the key from your Dodge Dart ignition system with ease.