The Dodge Dart is a popular compact car known for its stylish design and reliable performance.
However, a common issue that some drivers may encounter is getting their keys stuck in the ignition.
This can be a frustrating problem that prevents you from starting your car or turning off the engine.
In this situation, it’s important to address the issue promptly to avoid further damage to your car and ensure that you can continue to drive safely.
In this article, we will explore some possible causes of a key stuck in the ignition of a Dodge Dart and provide tips on how to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
Reasons Why Key Won’t Come Out Of Ignition of Dodge Dart
With years of experience, I have learned the basic and common reasons of why your key does not come out of the ignition of a Dodge Dart.
In the table given below, I have mentioned all such reasons.
|1. Malfunctioning Lock Cylinder
|2. Dead Battery
|3. Damaged Key
|4. Shift Lever Not in Park
|5. Faulty Ignition Switch
|6. Steering Wheel Lock
Step-By-Step Instructions to Take Key Out
After analyzing the causes, now let us focus on how to get the key out of the ignition of your Dodge Dart.
I have explained the step-by-step instructions to take out the key from the ignition.
1. Remove the Screws: Locate the screws that hold the housing around the ignition switch. Gently remove them one by one without stripping or damaging any of them.
2. Access to the Metal Clips: Once removed this should expose the backside of the key cylinder allowing access to two metal clips that retain both sides of the key cylinder on each side of its body.
3. Pop Free the Metal Clips: Using needle nose pliers, carefully press down on these two metal clips while simultaneously pulling outwards on both ends of the key using steady pressure until it pops free from its position within the ignition switch.
4. Reinstall Components: Once successful, reinstall all components in reverse order and make sure they are firmly seated before attempting to start your car again.
With practice and consistency, you’ll get better at removing keys from an ignition switch – soon enough it will become second nature! Knowing how to do this yourself not only saves time and money but also gives you peace of mind knowing that you have taken matters into your own hands.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
Apart from taking the key out by following the above-mentioned steps, troubleshoot the issue of your stuck key in your Dodge Dart. It also helps a lot.
Step 1: First, let’s check if it’s a dead battery issue.
If you try to turn the key and nothing happens, it could be a sign of a dead battery.
Step 2: Second, let’s check if there’s no power to the ignition.
This could be a sign of a corroded cable or a loose connection.
Step 3: Third, let’s check if the key is actually stuck.
This could be due to a worn-out ignition switch, which would need to be replaced.
I’m confident one of these troubleshooting steps will help get your key out of the ignition.
Let me know if you have any questions!
1. Jiggle the Steering Wheel
Having years of experience as a Car Ignition Expert, I can tell you that stuck keys in the ignition are incredibly common.
More often than not, this issue is caused by wear and tear over time or if foreign objects get into the lock cylinder.
If your key won’t come out of the Dodge Dart’s ignition, it could be due to either of these two issues.
|2. Possible Solution
|3. Next Step If Solution Fails
2. Dead Battery of Dodge Dart
Another common issue you might encounter with your Dodge Dart is a dead battery.
- This can be caused by the age of the battery, as just like any other electrical device it will eventually degrade over time.
- It could also be due to corroded terminals which prevent electricity from flowing properly and thus not allowing the car to turn on.
If you suspect either one of these issues may be causing your problems, then I recommend replacing the battery or cleaning up the terminals if the corrosion has been detected.
When changing out an old battery for a new one, make sure to use caution when handling it since there are potentially dangerous chemicals contained within them that need to be handled carefully.
2. No Power in Dodge Dart
When it comes to troubleshooting common issues with your Dodge Dart, another one you might encounter is having no power.
This can be due to a variety of reasons such as:
- The ignition switch not being able to provide enough energy
- There’s an issue with the car’s power supply
In either case, I recommend checking out these components first before moving on to any other solutions:
1. Replace Ignition Switch: If you still don’t have any luck getting the engine started, then replace your ignition switch.
This will require some technical expertise so if you’re not confident in doing this yourself find someone who is!
2. Use Quality Parts: Make sure that they use quality parts and check the wiring for any shorts or corrosion beforehand just to make sure everything runs smoothly afterward.
No matter what problem you encounter with your Dodge Dart, never hesitate to seek professional help if needed.
It’s worth spending a little extra money upfront rather than regretting it later when things go wrong from trying DIY repairs without proper knowledge or experience!
Safety Precautions To Take
When it comes to car ignition failures, the key won’t come out of the Dodge Dart’s ignition is no exception.
It can be a tricky and dangerous situation if not handled properly.
There are certain safety precautions I suggest taking when this happens – for your own protection as well as for the security of your vehicle.
|1. Do not force the key from the ignition to avoid potential engine damage or costly repairs.
|2. Check all settings on the dashboard panel and make sure everything is turned off before trying again.
|3. Try gently rocking back and forth while pulling up on the shifter (if applicable) to create enough room to pull out the key.
|4. Be gentle when removing the key and avoid causing further damage.
|5. Exercise patience and precision when dealing with a stuck key.
Having gone over the safety precautions to take when a key won’t come out of the ignition, it is important to note that professional assistance should be sought if these measures are unsuccessful.
Here are some benefits of enlisting professional assistance:
- Preventative maintenance: A trained technician will be able to check for any underlying problems before they become more serious or costlier to repair.
- Cost Comparison: By comparing parts prices from different suppliers, one can save on costs while not compromising on quality.
- Expert advice: Professional technicians have vast knowledge and expertise in dealing with complex car ignition systems that may prove difficult for an amateur mechanic to handle.
- Time-saving measures: With advanced tools and equipment at their disposal, a technician can diagnose and resolve the issue quickly.
Having access to experienced professionals who know how best to handle this situation is your safest bet.
They will ensure you receive the highest level of service at reasonable prices so you get back behind the wheel as soon as possible.
It’s a frustrating experience when you can’t get your key to come out of the ignition.
But with a few simple steps, you can often fix this yourself and be back on the road in no time!
Just remember that if you’re ever not sure what to do or feel uncomfortable attempting something yourself, it’s always best to call in an expert.
With years of experience in dealing with car ignitions, I know they’ll have you up and running quickly and safely – saving you time and hassle along the way.
So don’t let your stuck key put a damper on your day; there are solutions just around the corner!